Saturday, April 22, 2006

Training Shower, er um, I mean Ride, #3

This morning Stu and I headed to Kennedy Subway Station for the third training ride. It was raining steadily, as the weather forecast said it would, but we were somewhat prepared with our rain shells and tights / leg warmers. Stu also let me borrow a pair of his full-fingered gloves.

Training rides proceed rain or shine, since on the way to Montreal we can't take a day off if it rains, so it's good practice to experience riding in the rain now and then. Of course, the training rides are not mandatory, so only about 25 people showed up, some better prepared for rain than others. After the ride leaders had collected our signatures (we all have to sign a waiver of liability), they reminded us that it was our choice whether to ride or not, and they mentioned the extra precautions (and dangers) that come with rain.

After a bit of debate with some of our team members, Stu and I decided that we'd give it a try, and we'd simply turn back if it was too awful. The other 3 people from our team who showed up weren't as keen on it, so they went for coffee instead.

About 10 of us started out, and it wasn't too bad once you got moving. I felt chilly, but not wet. But then, after just 2.29 km, I got a flat tire! Now, I did have everything I needed to fix it, but I really didn't feel like doing it in the rain. So I called up Stu, who had been in the lead, and I told him what had happened and that I was just going to turn back since we weren't very far into the ride. Stu was relieved to hear that I hadn't fallen or anything (he had noticed that I wasn't behind him any more) and also because we now had a legitimate reason to turn back! We may be troopers, but there are varying degrees of trooper-osity. So Stu rode back to the car, and then came back to pick up me and my bike. I had to keep walking while I waited though, because once I got off my bike, I noticed how wet and cold I actually was.

I'm quite lucky that this happened early in the ride. (It's also good to get flat tires out of the way before the ride to Montreal - it's not superstitious, it's just statistics! I hadn't had a flat in probably 3 years until today.) It would have been awful to walk 20 km in the rain, or even to wait for Stu to get back to the car and then drive back to get me. Also, because it was early, we were able to join up with our team mates who were still at the coffee shop.

I'm not entirely sure what caused the flat, but perhaps I'll find out when I fix it. It may have been my fault though, because I've been riding on a rear tire that is badly worn from my indoor trainer. I was meaning to get a new one before the bike rally, but in the meantime I had been on several rides with it with no problems. I did hit a pot-hole a bit before I got the flat - so it may have been a combination of factors. I'm certainly hoping for better weather and better luck next weekend!

posted by Kevin @ 12:44 PM   0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home